Sunday, February 26, 2012

Spa Girls love their linen


I have been purchasing linen for as long as I can remember, primary for kitchen and dining use  and for the bath, however in the last five years I have been changing over my entire wardrobe  and now most of my clothes are linen as well.  Next will be my bedding!

Linen has many check marks for enthusiasts like me.  I love the look, the texture and the health benefits, check out the link below.

Linen is also ideal to pat dry your face.  That's because linen absorbs more water than any other fabric eliminating excessive over-drying.  Using all linen towels in my own bathroom, I can tell you I would never go back to any other kind of towel fabric--in fact I even travel with my own linen towel.


Made from the fibers of the flax plant, Linum usitatissimum, linen is labor-intensive to manufacture (thus the expense), but when made into garments, it is valued for its exceptional coolness and freshness in hot weather.

Dating back to about 8000 BC, linen textiles are some of the oldest in the world, however, dyed flax fibers found in a prehistoric cave in Georgia suggest the use of linen fabrics from wild flax may date back even earlier to 36,000 BC.
 
In ancient Egypt mummies were wrapped in linen because it was seen as a symbol of light and purity, and as a display of wealth.

Today linen is produced in many countriesFlax used for linen production is grown in Western Europe,  Eastern Europe and China, but high quality fabrics still come from niche producers in Ireland, Italy and Belgium, and also in countries including Poland, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark, Lithuania, Latvia, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Britain, Kochi in India and in the USA primarily for  the upholstery market.

Many products are made of linen: aprons, bags, towels (kitchen, bath, beach, body and wash towels), napkins, bed linen, linen tablecloths, runners, chair covers, men's and women's clothes.

Check out more about this amazing fabric.

World Linen Textile Company
Linen for Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment