Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spa Girl says Sweet Dreams!





"Romantic, soothing, creative, erotic--what kind of dreams do you desire?"


So starts the beginning of my most recent addition to Spa Girls library--Making Herbal Dream Pillows by Jim Long, co-owner of Long Creek Herbs in Oak Grove, Arkansas.

I received my first herbal pillow from my God Mother. A wonderfully wise woman who owned a physio-therapy practice on one of the magical Gulf Island for years and years. I found them irresistible for their heavenly aromatherapy scents and I also seemed to have vivid dreams when I used them.


Making Herbal Dream Pillows shares 17 recipes for "dreams made to order" and describes characteristics of the herbs and flowers  most effective in aromatherapy.  What I also appreciate, is the book provides information on how to grow and dry your own herbs in order to prepare them for your special dream pillow.  And while it is snowing outside my door as I write this post--I am still well into planning this summer's herb garden and several of the herbs and flowers I will be growing will be used in my herb dream pillow. 

For those following Spa Girl blog know from past posts I have been slowly transitioning my wee small garden and patio pots into all edibles or useable herbs for my aromatherapy DIY's, which has been a delightful gardening work out.  Over 30 eatable plants and counting!

The European craft of making Dream Pillows, also known as comfort pillows dates back several centuries when herbs were considered to have magical powers.  Today, while we might not believe in their magical powers, we definitely know the art of aromatherapy is a powerful tool in the  arsenal of health practitioners both traditional and alternative.


One of the most important aspects of selecting herbs for aromatherapy use is to know what they are used for--don't for example, use an herb for sleep that is meant to wake you up--and make sure you find their aroma pleasing.  Smell is essential!


All scents connect you with memories, and you want to ensure those memories are enjoyable ones! 


From reviewing many different recipes it seems the most common herbs used in dream pillows are chamomile, hops, lavender, mugwort, and rosemary.  

Here is a recipe for those hoping on and off air planes

Travellers Comfort Pillow

Mix together and place in a small bag and tuck into your pillow:
1/2 cup mugwort
1/2 cup rose petals
1/4 cup lavender flowers
1/4 cup marjoram
1 tablespoon passionflower (leaves or petals) 
Sweet Dreams!
Making Herbal Dream Pillows : Secret Blends for Pleasant Dreams by Jim Long





No comments:

Post a Comment